Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Grilled Halibut with Ginger Sauce

Photo By: Tina Rupp
I made this recipe for Grilled Halibut with Ginger Sauce from Epicurious http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/232263 and it was one of the best meals we've had for a long time. Not that we haven't been eating good, with the garden in production mode, some fresh king salmon reeled in and a freezer stash of bear, caribou and moose, we aren't just eating mac-n-cheese these day (although we love Annies Mac-n-Cheese, especially with a side of homepacked chili bear).

It was somewhat serendipitous coming across this recipe, as we have been growing Tatsoi this year in our garden, and Susie was successful bringing in the fresh halibut while we were in Homer two weeks ago. I did add my own character and substitutions but they were minor. Neither of us totally pumped on ginger, I just added about a teaspoon of powdered ginger to the sauce. Instead of five tablespoons of sugar I used four tablespoons of agave syrup. I touched off the top with a garnish of homegrown cilantro, a subtle and simple addition which really kicked it up a notch. Can't say that I made the best wine pairing, what was opend already at the time was a bottle of Bogle 2005 Old Vine Zinfandel, which is very fruity, jamming in fact, with just a touch of the zin kick that I like. Definitely will be buying it again (such a deal at about $12 at the Fred Meyer in Palmer) just would want something else, maybe a Pac Rim Reisling, to go with this meal.

No comments: